Friday 25 January 2013

Lips haul! Swatch and Review featuring Lush, OCC and Lime Crime

Firstly, I havn't quite got the hang of taking pictures of things in a professional way so I do apologise for that!

This post is about a few lovely lippies I've purchased recently and a quick swatch and run down of them. It has been snowing today so the swatches that came out best were taken with flash due to the grey skies outside!!

Lush Bubblegum Lip Scrub £5.25/25g 

As these lip products are all highly pigmented and in liquid form I thought I'd be best to exfoliate my lips in order to get the best from them.

I used Lush Lip Scrub in Bubblegum. I've used this once before and it's so easy to use, not messy like you might think it would be. It looks like pink sugar and I just take a tiny amount and apply it to my lips rubbing in circular motions. The best part is the taste! You can lick it off when your done mmm! It left my lips lovely and soft with no dry patches, ready for the easiest liquid lipstick application!


Freshly scrubbed lips!




Lush Emotional Brilliance Liquid Lipsticks £14.50/5g 

I've just recently taken a bit of a shine to Lush. It was never a company I gave much of a chance before I began blogging and mostly reading other blogs, but I have fallen in love! and wowwww I do love these! They are pricey and I'm not sure they are worth the £14.50 price tag, but Lush have had a 50% off sale on Emotional Brilliance recently so they are defo worth a look in for £7.25. The range features liquid lipsticks, eyeshadows and eyeliners in a rainbow of colours to suit your mood.

One of the things that attracts me to this range despite the crulety free aspect is the range of colours and the fact it is based on colour therapy. I had a reading done recently and was suprised by how accurate it was! Many lipstick ranges I find are all variations of the same shade in different finishes etc which is good if thats what you are looking for, but with this there are true grass green and sunshine yellow colours. I'm not sure I'd wear them but I quite like the fact I could purchase them if I wanted to! I'm not a huge fan of liquid eyeliners however so didn't purchase any of those but the lipsticks are interesting! Unfortunately I havn't worn any of these long term yet so can't comment on longevity but I did wear Vibrance the other day and it lasted well. I wasn't eating and drinking though.

The only major issue I have come accross and I did read about this in blog reviews about Lush Lipsticks is that the little doe foot applicator often breaks off and gets lost in the product. This has already happened to me with Vibrance so it would appear that the ease of carrying it around with you and being able to apply it on the go is taken away by the fact that the applicator is not particularly sturdy.

L-R Swatches: Drive, Confident, Vibrance (with flash)

Blended out (with flash)

Drive - Moving Forward

Drive as you can see from the photos isn't quite as purple as it looks as it has pink undertones. It's a lovely buildable and wearable shade and went on very easily. In the photo it is quite sheer but once dried the colour can be layered up for a more vibrant look.

This is definately a shade I'll be wearing on a night out soon!

Drive (with flash)

Confident - Believe in Yourself

Confident is a dark plummy shade that has a thicker consistancy than Drive. I found it more difficult to apply due to this. Again, it is builable and below it is sheerer than what it could be if you layered it up. I would suggest wearing a lip liner with it to stop the colour feathering out.

Confident (with flash) above and below


Vibrance - Full of Life

Vibrance is a lovely apricot shimmering shade that is sheerer than I thought it would be but looks lovely on its own for daytime wear or layered over an tangerine lipstick for night time wear. I love the glitter in it and think this will be one I'll be wearing to remind me of summer through these dull, cold, snowy days!


Vibrance (with flash) above and below


Broken Applicator
Applictor Intact

Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tars £9.95/10ml 

I love dramatic makeup, always have. I can't say I'm the best at applying it well but with products that pack a punch I do think it will be much easier!

I bought these on a whim when Karla Powel had 10% off at Cocktail Cosmetics for her fans and fellow MUAs. They are actully well worth the money as you get 10ml of product for a tenner and only need a tiny spot to do your whole lip! They come with a small lip brush applicator which makes the application of them slightly easier. As the product is liquid it still takes a bit of getting used to.

Again OCC are against cruelty which is another thing I really love about this brand, never mind the colour payoff. Whoaa these are dramatic! Just the thing...!


L-R Swatches: Pretty Boy, Hoochie, Black Dahlia (with flash)
Pretty Boy

I think I was slightly too light handed here to show off the true Barbie Pink that this is! It takes a little bit of getting used to with the little lip brush but it makes application fairly easy. I think when wearing this I'll use a lip liner just to add definition to my lips.

Pretty Boy (with flash)

Roughly the amount of product I used

Hoochie

This is my favourite!!! It's a beautiful sort of mauve purple colour and it went on very easily (must have got the hang of it after Pretty Boy). I love that they are long wearing but dont't look too dry with that lovely gloss they have too them.

Hoochie (with flash)

Hoochie (without flash)

Black Dahlia

This was a risk that paid off! This one is desribed as blackened red on the description but it looks a lovely berry shade if you aren't too heavy handed. They are very buildable and I think after a few layers this one would do well for a spooky halloween lip!

Black Dahlia (with flash)

Little brush applicator
Lime Crime Velvetines Lipstick £11.50/3g
Sold out on Cocktail Cosmetics but available on Cute Cosmetics in Suedeberry (25/01/13)

I have heard nothing but good things about these lipsticks and couldn't wait to try them out! I bought the two shades available on Cocktail Cosmetics and they are lovely! I do find them quite drying however as they are matte but if matte isn't your thing just slick some gloss over the top and your good to go as they are highly pigmented!
The packaging is so cute! I just love that they have paid attention to detail and they arn't in some boring black tube, they'll look cute in your handbag on a night out... not that you'd need them. Again, I havn't worn them long term yet but I had some trouble getting them off my lips after I took these photos and I've read they last for up to five hours and some blogs say longer! I'm sold!





L-R Wet Swatches: Red Velvet, Suedeberry (with flash)

L-R Dry Swatches: Red Velvet, Suedeberry (with flash)
Red Velvet

This reminds me of a classic red lip! Velvet is how I would describe the texture but to make it more wearable and less aging I would definately put a gloss or lip balm over the top as it is tight and heavy feeling on the lip. Beautiful shade though!


Red Velvet (with flash)

Red Velvet (without flash)
Suedeberry

This is a beautiful coral shade against my pale skin. Almost neon. I love that they dry in quickly, you can watch when they turn from liquid to matte! I think this would look beautiful on a summers night with a white dress and a golden tan or a fake tan for me! It's definately a younger colour than Red Velvet and is more wearable on its own although I'd still pop a gloss on top for comfort. If you apply it unevenly I feel it shows up more than Red Velvet. I had two attempts at getting this right and it still looks a tad patchy, maybe another coat would perfect it!

Suedeberry (with flash)

Suedeberry (without flash)

So there you have it! A little run down on some cruelty free highly pigmented lip products!

Have you ever tried any of these products? What are your favourite shades?

 

2 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Goodness.

    I'm in love with about half of these! Definitely off to buy Suedeberry, Hoochie and Drive now. Love them.

    Allie xo
    Ignoring The Changing Room Mirror
    Misbehave!Boutique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thanks for your comment! glad you found the post helpful, they really are beautiful colours!
      Jo x

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! Be sure to leave your blog web address so I can check it out! Jo x