Wednesday 13 February 2013

Foundation Hell to Estee Lauder Heaven!

While at University (possibly even at school? I can't remember) I swore by Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse. I remember when it was first launched, oh the anticipation! It was exactly what I was looking for as it kept oiliness at bay and was easy to apply for a makeup application rookie. 

As I've gotten older and became more aware of the quality of makeup products I have to admit that old Matte Mousse has been left lonely in my makeup storage for use of other foundations. I have quite a bad relationship with foundations because I've never really learned how to pick my best shade and I usually end up with one too light or orange for my skin. I've also had bad experiences with 'higher end' foundations, well if you can count Virgin Vie as higher end! My Mum (who is most definitely not a makeup fanatic like moi) bought me a £15 foundation from Virgin Vie when I was probably about 14 and it was so runny and oily I thought all expensive (well £15 was a lot of money to be spending on makeup to a 14 year old then) foundations would be the same.

So with that little anecdote I come to the main part of my story!

I pucked up the courage to go into Boots and ask at the Estee Lauder counter for a sample of Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup in the shade I thought best suited me (much testing went on to decide this with better sampling lessons from beauty bloggers such as TheSundayGirl, you can view the post I used here). 

As this foundation is tres expensive I decided if I did decide to buy it, it would be best kept for 'special occasions' therefore I'd lean toward a slightly darker shade for when I'm wearing fake tan (we are all a bit guilty of keeping our 'good things' too good though aren't we?) and if I decided it was holy grail type stuff then I could pick it up in a slightly lighter shade for pale and interesting me.

I have always wanted to try this foundation since hearing raving reviews from a couple of my friends although I was sceptical. The job I've been doing recently involves a lot of running about and by the end of the day my makeup base is a sweaty mess. It's quite annoying considering the amount of time and effort (not to mention money!) I put into my makeup routine. So, for all that I have found some pretty good foundations along the way I'm still waiting on 'The One' and since Double Wear apparently doesn't budge I thought I'd give it a whirl.

As I had some fake tan on at the time of getting the sample I choose 2C1 Pure Beige which I believe means it is in the second category of shades ie medium (due to the '2') and is for cool undertones (due to the 'C'). Although I have no idea what the 1 means...
I know the majority of beauty bloggers probably know all of this stuff and always refer to their skintone via their MAC shade but I don't have a MAC shade so this is all new to me!

Anyway...

I wore this makeup when out on a shift in my support worker job and had it on all day...

Woooah it is amazing! I know its the first time I've worn it but I literally saw no shine until about 9pm in the evening after having applied it around 10am that morning, as well as sniffling into a tissue and eating/drinking etc. Now to me that is a pretty big result. Not only that but it still looked freshly applied even though I hadn't touched it up at all! Oh! and it applies like a dream, I expected it to be really thick but it was easy to get a lot out of a tiny dot and just add to it as I ran out. I think it took a couple of mini splodges (technical terms!) to cover my face well.

I am very excited about this product! Can you tell?

My Mum commented on how nice my skin looked and said I wasn't looking too orange (she's so cheeky!) but hey, if my Mum liked it, it must be good! She tells it like it is!
I'm beginning to think that this shade may work minus the fake tan also which would be an added bonus.

Overall I think further testing is required until I'm absolutely sure but I think this one is a winner! 
Yay!

The flash appears to have washed me out a little! Apologies!

What's on my Face

Face:
Nivea Express Hydration Primer
Estee Lauder Double Wear in Pure Beige
Illamasqua Powder Foundation in 140
Naked Flushed Palette
Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer in 3 (medium)

Eyes:
Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer
MUA Heaven and Earth Palette Shade 9 applied all over lid up to brow
Rimmel Scandal Eyes Eyeshadow Stick in 003 Bad Girl Bronze
Rimmel Scandal Eyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal in 005 Nude (waterline)
Rimmel Scandal Eyes Eyeshadow Stick in 008 Blackmail (under lashes)
Diorshow Blackout Mascarra in Waterproof Black-Kohl
MUA Pro-Brow Kit

Lips:
Rimmel Apocalips Lip Lacquer in Galaxy





What do you think? Do you rate Double Wear, do you own it?


4 comments:

  1. Love the blush jo whats your twitter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey! my twitter is xPolkadotJoox
      Im new though and not really sure how to use it!!

      The blush is from the Naked Flushed palette xx

      Delete
  2. hay, new follower,great blog.
    you can never have too many makeup bloggers ;)
    follow back, if you like .. andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im so jealous, I'm too pale for double wear but its a lovely foundation.. I think it'll be my summer shade foundation!!

    Lexii

    http://beautybyalexia.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Be sure to leave your blog web address so I can check it out! Jo x